ELSEWHERE

RAVELRY | CONTACT

*note: in the process of replacing images*

Friday, 31 December 2010

Tomatoes and Yarn

It's December, and my tomato plants are still growing. How? The magic of Southern California, I guess.



They're out of season, and suffering from the cold and the rainstorms we've been having recently, but they're still there and nothing has exploded. The larger of the above split a little after the onslaught of water, so I picked it this morning.



It's pretty big. I swear these are supposed to be beefsteaks, but they don't look like beefsteaks at all. Beefsteaks are supposed to be wide and plump right?

In other news: local yarn store! I finally visited with my sister in law on Tuesday (the first day of opening after Christmas), and it's possibly the nicest yarn store you could wish for. The main pro for me was the wide variety of priced yarns - $6.50 to $40+ options, wool/acrylic blends to bamboo and silks, so it didn't feel like I was priced out of being a customer there. I've paid more for yarns from the major chain craft stores. But I also liked the quality of customer service, the friendliness and knowledgeability of the women working there (offering help, but not pushy!), and the way the store is laid out. Everything is easy to find, clean, nice smelling and lovely. And they have sales, coupons and A DISCOUNT BIN. It is yarn heaven.

I ended up buying nothing but Berocco yarn (when I expected to pick up something more expensive). This is Berocco Vintage (the top is chunky, the bottom is worsted weight):



Then I found this in the discount bin, which is great because I'd been eyeing this online a few weeks ago:



I'll probably be back in the next few months, once I've burned down more of my stash (this is going better than expected). I want some Noro. Which will be a suitable reward now I've finally, finally learned to knit.



Yes, those are chopsticks. I'll be ordering a set of bamboo needles from brilliant knitting of etsy next week methinks. Ghetto solutions only last a certain amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment