ELSEWHERE

RAVELRY | CONTACT

*note: in the process of replacing images*

Friday, 30 July 2010

More Green

Bits and pieces from the garden this week. Despite the daytime wilting, the cucumbers are finally producing flowers and fruit. Loving the vibrant yellow flowers against the rather faded gold of the rest of the garden.

OMG CUCUMBER

The Boysenberry bushes have taken to the soil well. Not pictured here are the berries that started pushing out  in the last few days. We weren't expecting them until next year! I will have a very tiny drink of berry juice when they are ripe.

Boysenberry Flower

I figured yesterday that it was time to dig up the potatoes. The first lot of potatoes were disappointing (tiny!)... and as an added bonus I found this monstrosity wriggling in the soil around the roots

Pupae

Gaaaah! I was horrified. I thought it could be a deformed baby gopher or gigantic larvae. But thanks to the gracious wisdom of the internet, I am no longer ignorant! It's a moth cocoon! Not coincidentally, it was underneath the potato plant that had lost all it's leaves a few weeks earlier. Now I'm just sad I missed the giant caterpillar. I put some soil in a plant container and gave the cocoon a safer home near butterfly friendly plants, and fingers crossed, I'm going to catch it emerging on camera.

Last but not least, half an hour ago, I found a tiny dragon protecting my cucumber plants from evil:

peanut baby lizard time

It's baby lizard season! Pray for them, it's an active garden with many predators.

No comments:

Post a Comment